Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Holiness

I Peter 1:13-2:25

What is holiness? Holiness is doing that which pleases God. If we really desire to do what God wants, and if we really desire the Kingdom of God then holiness ought to be important. Being holy means more than just not doing this or that:

"I don't smoke, I don't get drunk, I don't do drugs, I don't sleep with my boy/girlfriend."

Well, good for me. Do I get a cookie? I'm not supposed to smoke or get drunk, or do drugs, or fornicate. That's all well and good. I know lots of heathens that don't do that stuff. They aren't holy, not by God's reckoning anyhow. Holiness goes beyond what we aren't doing and into what we are doing. Why do I do the things I do and who do I do them for?

Holy from Greek word Haggios meaning

Set apart to God
who's we are

Set apart for God

To use us as He wishes

Who are we? Who is using us? And what is He using us for?

We are holy when we acquiesce to God's will, when we realize that we are His children, and when we obey His commands. We don't have to DO any special task or great quest to be Holy. The second we become His child we are holy. We are made holy by Christ's death on the cross and his resurrection. By trusting in this salvation we are holy. By obeying His commands and allowing ourselves to be used by God we are Holy.

First we become holy when we become God's children. Then, God says “Come, Follow me.” Finally we trust Him as we follow. As we follow Christ we will so fill ourselves with God, and His will that we will reflect God to all mankind

-N

3 comments:

SethHackett said...

Touch this a little bit tonight. Good to read it.

Nic said...

Oh really?

SethHackett said...

Spoke on the forgiveness of God. So naturally I interwove holiness and grace.